Learning Resources Program
Under the supervision of the Director, the Counsellor delivers evidence-based correctional programs with the fundamental objective of reducing the risk of re-offending.
- Delivers evidence-based programs either in a group and/or individual setting, in the community and institutions.
- Completes file reviews, assessments and reports as required.
- Maintains accurate electronic and manual client records.
- Conducts research to ensure that program standards, content and techniques are current with correctional research.
- Maintains collaboration with John Howard Society programs and partner agencies for the purpose of case management, alternative program referral and client advocacy.
- Attends program related meetings.
- Contributes to the orientation/training of staff/interns/volunteers.
- Develops and presents information sessions to clients and community agencies.
- Engages in professional development as required.
- Ensures confidentiality guidelines are met regarding staff and client information.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining a safe, secure environment for both staff and clients.
- Performs other related duties as required by the Director.
- University degree in Social Work, Criminology or the social sciences. (psychology, sociology or education)
- Demonstrated knowledge and a minimum of two years experience delivering cognitive/behavioural counselling approaches in both individual and group settings.
- Experience with and a demonstrated understanding of the offender population.
- Broad understanding of the criminal justice system.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proven competency in computer software.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Certificate of conduct.
- Enhanced reliability check as required.
(Rated by the JJEC June 2016)
Salary: $29.44/hour as per collective agreement; 35 hours per week.
“This position is open to male and female applicants”
Please submit resume to: Rod Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org