Under the supervision of the Coordinator, a Group Home Counsellor provides counselling, supervision and a wide variety of related services to young offender in a residential environment.
- Provides supervision of residents and monitors their activities within and outside the home.
- Records resident activity in a daily log, communication log and incident reports if required.
- Prepare behavioral reports for court as required and discharge summaries upon their release.
- Conducts and documents regular checks on residents and the physical facility.
- Identifies problem areas and intervenes effectively in crisis situations.
- Provides informal/supportive counselling to residents.
- Completes intake requirement for new residents.
- Attends program related meetings.
- Prepares meals as required and completes regular household duties.
- Transport residents to appointments, school, meetings etc..
- Complete residential purchases.
- Provides access to medication and documents as required.
- Communicates with staff and volunteers through the use of the daily log, communication log and shift change briefings.
- Contributes to the maintenance of a clean and safe facility.
- Contributes to the orientation/training of staff/interns/volunteers.
- Engages in professional development as required.
- Ensures confidentiality guidelines are met regarding staff and client information.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining a safe, secure environment for both staff and clients.
- A University degree in the social or behavioural Sciences.
- Experience with and a demonstrated understanding of the young offender population and the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- Certificates in Emergency First Aid and CPR.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Certificate of conduct.
- Valid driver’s license.
Loretta Bartlett Home for Youth will be hiring 1-2 call-in/relief counsellors. This position is open to male and female applicants.
The candidate(s) selected must be available to work evenings, weekends and overnights.
**Please submit your availability with your resume**
Salary: $ 24.52 hour as per collective agreement
CLOSING DATE: January 20, 2018
Please submit resumes to:
Regina Mitchell Coordinator
278 Curling Street
Corner Brook, NL A2H 3J7
Phone – (709) 785-7656
Email – email@example.com